Today was my first day back at work, and it was the little worm’s first day at daycare. Today definitely had its ups and downs as all working moms can acknowledge. I’m only working part-time, so the separation anxiety on my half wasn’t as extreme as I thought. It was pretty much minimal on the worm’s end. He’s only 6 weeks old and has no idea what is going on. He just knows that he’s in a new environment, and was really into all the new sounds, smells and people.
On my end, the tears dried while I was actually enjoying being back at work. I’m not exactly the stay at home type of woman. I don’t think I would find it very fulfilling. As much as I love my son, I need more stimulation, more things to discuss than diapers, baby bowel movements, and breastfeeding. That being said, I still had to write-up a list of reasons of why putting the little guy in daycare was a good decision, because I was still questioning it throughout the day. This is my list. If any other working moms have anything to add to the list, please do. I need this list to grow as the little gets bigger and more playful. Then it really will be much harder to drop him off at daycare.
- Undivided “me time” away from the worm (hard, but necessary!)
- Feeling productive, responsible and needed back at work.
- Adult conversations about adult topics
- Paychecks! Money!
- Diaper free days!
- Getting to meet other working parents via the daycare
- Enjoying my time more with my son after picking him up from daycare
- Knowing that he’s developing social skills at daycare.
- He’s strengthening his immune system, will have a lower chance of developing allergies & will develop better bone marrow (this came from my scientist cousin…)
- He is being mentally and emotionally stimulated at daycare in ways that I can’t provide.