Summer is ending and in its place will start a new school year. For many kids, this new school year will be their first school year. Children will be filled with questions, hesitation and excitement about what will be in store for them. Here are some great books to start the discussion on what types of experiences they’ll encounter during the next few months.
(Summaries from Worldcat.org)
- First Day of School by Margaret McNamara – After a summer of playing with his puppy, Michael is sad to learn that she cannot stay with him on the first day of school (J Easy Reader McNamara)
- Mouse’s First Day of School by Lauren Thompson – When he goes to school, Mouse finds a world of new objects and new friends. (J Picture Book Thompson)
- Amelia Bedelia’s First Day of School by Herman Parish – A literal-minded first-grader’s first day of school is filled with confusing adventures, much to her delight. (J Picture Book Parish)
- Chu’s First Day of School by Neil Gaiman – On the first day of school, a young panda learns about the special things his animal classmates can do. (J Picture Book Gaiman)
- My First Day of School by by Nancy Skarmeas – Daniel liked preschool just fine, but he is not so sure he wants to go to kindergarten. (J Picture Book Skarmeas)
- Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney – Llama Llama experiences separation anxiety on his first day of nursery school. (J Picture Book Dewdney)