Early Literacy Resources
National Early Learning Models
There are a ridiculous amount of early learning models and early literacy resources implemented not only in California, but nationwide. These models have been implemented in many libraries, and are great ways to get the ball rolling on campaigning for early literacy and learning amongst parents and caregivers.
Every Child Ready to Read Created by the Public Library Association (PLA), this program is based on the research of the National Reading Panel and the development of six pre-reading skills identified as a foundation for literacy.
Mother Goose on the Loose. This is an interactive lapsit and storytime model developed by Betsy Diamant-Cohen, children’s librarian at the Pratt Free Library, and is geared to parents with infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
Sure They Are Ready to Read – Library S.T.A.R. Originally developed for San Diego County by Meg Schofield, Library S.T.A.R. is a training program for library staff who are creating and delivering early learning services for families with young children.
Touchpoints. T. Berry Brazelton M.D., pediatrician and author, pioneered the Touchpoints approach to understanding how infants and toddlers grow and develop.
The Hanen Centre Programs. The Hanen Centre programs provide parents and caregivers with knowledge and training to facilitate the development of language, social and literacy skills in infants, toddlers and young children.
P.A.R.E.N.T.S. is a curriculum designed by Jane Curtis, San Rafael Public Library, for Family Literacy programs in California.
Read to Me Program. Developed by Susan Straub, the program consists of two components, “Reading with Babies” and the “Read to Me” teen parent program.
More Links and Resources
- African American Children’s Books www.leeandlow.com
- Ames, Iowa, Raising Readers in Story www.raising-readers.org
- Bank Street College of Education www.bankstreet.edu
- Beginning with Books, Center for Early Literacy www.beginningwithbooks.org
- Bookstart www.bookstart.co.uk
- Brooklyn Public Library www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org
- Child Development Media www.childdevelopmentmedia.com
- Clubmom www.clubmom.com
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center, Madison, WI www.education.wisc.edu/ccbc
- Family Reading Partnership www.familyreading.org
- FirstBook nonprofit organization www.fbmarketplace.org
- Get Ready to Read www.getreadytoread.org
- Hennepin County Library (MN) www.hennepin.lib.mn.us
- Jessica Doyle http://readon.wi.gov/
- Just One More Book http://www.justonemorebook.com
- Literacy Inc., Develop and coordinate communities to support young children as readers www.lincnyc.org
- Michael Fusco Design www.michaelfuscodesign.com
- Morning Glory Press www.morningglorypress.com
- Multimedia Children’s Literature Resource www.teachingbooks.com
- National Association for the Education of Young Children www.naeyc.org
- Peter Straub – Author www.peterstraub.net
- Reach Out and Read, Boston, MA www.reachoutandread.org
- READ TO ME Program’s 30 minute video as featured on the CCBC web site
- Star Bright Books www.starbrightbooks.org
- Teachers & Writers Collaborative www.twc.org
- The Book Vine for Children www.bookvine.com
- The Horn Book Magazine www.hbook.com
- The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators www.scbwi.org
- University of Texas-Houston, Center for Improving the Readiness of Children for Learning and Education(CIRCLE)and Children’s Learning Institute www.childrenslearninginstitute.org
- What to Expect Foundation www.whattoexpect.org
- Zero-to-Three, Washington DC www.zerotothree.org